BEFORE THE BOARDWALK,
THERE WAS TOWER BEACH
Welcome to The Boardwalk on Okaloosa Island!
The Boardwalk is the largest collective location for dining and entertainment in the heart of Okaloosa Island. Our lovely park was dedicated in 1952 and named after Newman Brackin from Crestview, FL, who served as the Florida State Senate President in 1957. Harkening back to a simpler time, a boardwalk erected on this spot known as Tower Beach in 1928, offered a casino, dance hall, and picnic pavilions. An unfortunate fire in 1942 would lead to Tower Beach burning down, and sadly it would not be rebuilt due to wartime restrictions on supplies and materials. Over the next 50 years, with the return to peace times, Okaloosa Island would rise to the notion of amusement park, changing out the cooling water cement slides at Water Boggan built in 1977 and later, putting in an exciting wooden rollercoaster.
Our beautiful stretch of Emerald Coast beach could not go ignored for long, though, giving rise to The Boardwalk, originally offering a restaurant called Harpoon Hanna’s built in the shape of a pirate ship, crow’s nest and all. An affinity for live music would lead to the reconstruction of Harpoon Hanna’s to serve as a nightclub, The Swamp, which featuring popular local and touring bands. Again in 2016, The Swamp aged out and was replaced with Al’s Beach Club, a family-friendly burger joint and music venue. The Boardwalk has changed many times over the years and to this day stays relevant to the needs of the community, offering a wide selection of dining, shopping, and entertainment options. The Boardwalk has is all, and it’s all for you.
Welcome to The Boardwalk!